Weeks till Christmas
- Mark all special dates for the season on your calendar - school and church concerts, parties, school vacations.
- Start collecting a basketful of inexpensize stocking-stuffers and small gifts for children and unexpected guests.
- Plan menu for Thanksgiving dinner.
- Avoid last-minute searching: Gather your favorite holiday recipes and keep them in a pretty envelope. Make a list, with page numbers,of recipes in books. Note which can be made ahead.
- Special-order goose, game or fresh turkey for Thanksgiving.
Make a list of ingredients for Thanksgiving and Christmas baking; buy everything now to save time and money.
Order catalog gifts now: Most take from 4 to 6 weks to arrive.
- Buy the Christmas turkey for your freezer, if you have space.
- Decide what holiday decorations you're going to make rather than buy. This way, you'll have plenty of time ot work on them.
- Get some of your gift shopping done early at church bazaars and school fairs.
- Buy Christmas cards - and stamps.
- To cut down on returns, update clothing sizes for everyone on your gift list.
November 26 - December 2
- Send invitations out for Christmas and holiday parties.
- Make fruitcakes and plum puddings.
- Make and freeze baked goods for having and giving.
- Make and freeze hors d'oeuvres and casseroles.
- Plan menus for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and for parties.
- Special-order goose, game or fresh turkey for Christmas dinner.
- Plan time for a special holiday outing or activity with each of your children.
- Schedule beauty appointments - haircut, perm, manicure, etc.
- Stock up on canned and frozen foods, crackers and chips for instant snacks.
- Make pie shells and freeze.
- Wrap and tag presents as you buy them.
- Take a look at your tablecloths - do you see any burn holes? Stains? Fix, clean, iron now.
- Arrange to exchange babysitting time with another mother so each of you will have free shopping hours.
- Are there any items on your mail-order lists that haven't arrived yet?
- Do you have all your beverage supplies - alcoholic and non-alcoholic, mixers, sodas?
- Buy batteries for presents that need them.
- Decorate and hang your door wreaths.
- Do your indoor decorating. Remember to put holiday towels in the bathroom, a decoration in the kitchen and in the guest room.
- Freeze extra bags of ice cubes.
- Buy tree and store it temporarily in a bucket of water in the garage.
- Test tree lights.
- Do you have graham crackers or cookies for Santa's snack?